Wednesday, January 20, 2010

In Search Of a Simple Dinner


I am is search of simple dinner ideas.  I have decided that anything that requires more thought or preparation than peanut butter and jelly is just a waste of my time.  My family doesn't appreciate my effort, various members of my family moan about what is being served (while others are pleased...or at least not unhappy). As I'm typing, I know what you are thinking: this is a self-fulfilling type of thing:  I put in little effort, therefore none of the food is great, and therefore, my family is less than enthusiastic about dinner.  But, I know I have put in tons of prep time, and there is no difference.  In fact, maybe there is even more moaning, because it's something new.  See, there is no incentive.

 "Simple' would be an undersatetement for what I've whipped up lately.  Spaghetti has been on the menu frequently.  But, even then, I find the wide array of special requests staggering.  Here was last night's spaghetti order:
1.) Spaghetti, no sauce, butter only. Cut up.
2.) Spaghetti, no sauce, butter and cheese. NOT cut up.
3.) Spaghetti, extra sauce, no cheese. Cut up.
4.)Spaghetti, sauce, cheese. Cut up.
5.) Spaghetti, sauce, cheese. Not cut up.
6.) Spaghetti, roasted tomatoes and red peppers, cheese, not cut up.

So, as you can see, even when it's supposed to be simple, it's not.  Do you think this is some secret family conspiracy to drive me batty? 

What's your easiest, and most requested dinner?

2 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

My kids hate everything I cook, or so they say, unless it's hot dogs or the pasta stuck into hot dogs. Even so, we had hot dogs last night and the orders were as follows:

hot dog, no bun and cheese
hot dog, bun,cheese, ketchup, mustard
hot dog, bun no cheese or anything else
hot dog with chili and cheese
And the ever popular: Why can't we have something else for dinner???

Deanna said...

Easiest and most requested - ice cream! But we SS's should definitely get together to discuss this topic!