Monday, August 16, 2010

Behind the Scenes at The Zoo


We were able to tour the Zoo last week and got a bit of a "behind the scenes" experience.
 
I could stay in the aquarium all day.  There is something about all of those colorful, fish swimming that I can't get enough of.


I'm glad I have never had the "opportunity" to have met any of these guys in the wild. Their black eyes make them seem even more menacing.

The zookeeper told my kids that this cat, whose habitat is northern Russia, will be Extinct in the wild within their lifetimes.  She said there are only 35 of these leopards alive in the wild right now. They are hunted by the natives of that part of the world for their fur.


This giraffe was hand fed from the time it was a baby.  So, he was very friendly.  All I could think of was this big guy following his owner around like a puppy...all leggy and frisky, and 15 feet tall!


And, in case no one has ever warned you, giraffes are very slobbery, and they are usually drooling on you if you happen to be underneath them!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, my kids LOVE going to the zoo! Its on the list for this week! Great pic with the giraffe ~ drool and all ;)

Jennifer Juniper said...

Ewww! I'm imagining giraffe drool right now! You look so short in that group of kids :)