Monday, May 16, 2011

I Get Some Strange Looks in Produce

It occurred to me that not everyone smells their cantaloupe before they purchase it.  I can't help it!  My Mom taught me most of these tips for buying the best of fresh produce:

Cantaloupe:  Smell it.  It should smell like cantaloupe. It should also be slightly soft at the stem area.  If it's green, you can leave it sit on the counter to ripen.


 Watermelon:  Knock on it.  If it sounds hollow, then, it's a good one.  The sweetest melons are cracked inside, and are ripe.  When you are knocking, if it sounds solid, move on.


Green Grapes:  Look for grapes that have a slightly yellow cast, particularly opposite the stem area.  They are the sweetest.  The really dark green ones are sour.


Pineapple:  This fruit should be yellow near the bottom.  I've also heard that you should be able to pull a leaf from a fruit that is ripe.  
Now I'm sure there are many more tips that I don't know about!  
What did your Mom tell you??

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Besides being a cantaloupe smeller, I am also a pineapple smeller. If it smells sweet and like pineapple snatch it up :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

I smell my pineapple and strawberries too! I also heard that if the stem end of the cantaloupe is soft it is ripe.

Very timely post!

Anne said...

I smell the strawberries and peaches. One day I was at the strawberry case and I picked up a container of strawberries and gave it a good sniff. There was an older lady next to me who started laughing. Then she told me that she does the same thing and people always give her weird looks.

Oh, and my sister smells tomatoes.

Deanna said...

That's great advice! Mothers know best! Once you get them home, don't ever refrigerate tomatoes, and wait to wash those berries until right before you use them. Wash and spin dry lettuce and store in an airtight container with a paper towel on the bottom of the container and a paper towel on top under the lid. Lettuce doesn't get slimy as quickly!

the treat girl said...

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am a cantaloupe smeller too. My grandpa taught me that one. I didn't know about the other tips though. Thanks!

Jo @ SmileMonsters