Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Make Your Own Succulent Wreath

I've always wanted to make one of these succulent wreaths.  I've seen them in catalogs, and always thought I could make a nicer one myself.  Last year, I went on a hunt to a floral supply warehouse to look for the circular frame- I had in mind a wire type wreath form.  I had no luck.  I have been turning the idea over in my mind trying to come up with the right container. 

I was thinking about it last week when my friend, Jen's birthday came around.  A group of us always celebrate each other's birthdays with a handmade gift.  I thought about a bundt pan as a container.  I called Marzipan to see if she wanted to go to the local thrift store to see if we could find something vintage.  We both thought a bundt pan's sides would be too high, she suggested a jello mold. 

With high hopes, we set off looking for something very specific -- and wouldn't you know it-- they had the PERFECT vintage jello mold for me to plant some sweet succulents in.

I lined the bottom of the pan with small stones, then added the plants..I thought I'd need extra sandy soil, but the dirt from the original pots was sufficient to plant all the succulents in the perfect pan.  I was even able to droop some of the vining plants over the pan's edge for a more established look. 

My friend, and birthday girl,  Jenifer Juniper uses this pretty planter as a centerpiece to her patio table.  The umbrella slides right through the center of the pan!



3 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

I love it! I was just looking at it last night!

the treat girl said...

It's perfect!! I'm on the hunt for a jello mold too :)

Ioana-Carmen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.