Friday, April 25, 2008

Could this be the Beginning of a Bumper Crop?


I hope so! This is one of my 4 or 5 Quince bushes. The flowers are amazing and look very similar to apple blossoms but without the smell. The bushes are branchy with big thorns. Quinces are something you either covet, or have never heard of. They ripen in the fall and are gnarly light green and yellow hard fruits..if you can call them that. They are difficult to work with. But, they have the most unusual citrus flavor and make the most beautiful bronze colored jelly. It's prized at my house. I love the contradictions that the quince offers: beautiful flowers from woody, thorny stems. Wonderful tasting fruit from shriveled, nasty looking fruits.


More later on other contradictions that I love!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Beautiful! Fruits from prickly bushes are worth the inconvenience - much like our red raspberries! Enjoy the blooming while it lasts! I got more complements on my ring today and handed out two more cards!

Joy Beadworks said...

Thank You for giving out the cards! I'm hoping that we don't get the frost Monday or I am done for!