Sunday, August 24, 2008

Old is New

I took these yesterday in the barn on the farm where I grew up. It's one of those things that seemed so daily and mundane that you never noticed it. The kids were playing in the hay loft and visiting the kittens and I snapped these off.

I like to imagine which of my forefathers used this wagon wheel, what kind of work they did with it, and all of the travels it's been on.
I spent many hot summer days breathing dust in this barn while putting up hay and straw. (Hay is what animals eat, straw is the shaft of wheat or oats and is used for bedding. Knowing this will make you sound like you know what you are talking about at the county fair.)
Here's a hard working farm dog, a border collie. They need lots of room to run, and are very helpful, herding comes so naturally to them.

Since all of this stuff isn't so daily anymore, it's easy to look at it with a new perspective. I love how the sunlight streams through the boards.

No comments: