Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Wonder Why Wednesday: Why is There Only One Junior Event at The Rodeo?


I had an opportunity to go to the "Biggest Rodeo This Side of the Mississippi" last night. That's right, the North Washington Rodeo.

There were rodeo queens, corny clowns, barrel races, calf roping, and lots of funnel cakes. The scene is what you'd imagine: lots of cowboy hats, cowboy boots, plaid shirts and flashy fringed chaps.

They always save the bull riding till the end, it's usually the most exciting. My "I Wonder Why" could be: "Why Do People Do This at All?", but as a Mom, a bigger question is "Why Do People Let Their Kids Do This?" The only Junior event last night was Bull Riding. The under 18 highest point earner couldn't even talk because he broke his jaw last week. Most contestants stumbled off of their bulls after being thrown like rag dolls, and walked like 80 year old men and slowly, painfully, climbed the gate. I wonder what kind of shape they'll be in when they are actually 80. I hope they're not worse for the wear, but the Mom in me knows that they probably will be.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

That sounds like fun! I didn't know they had rodeos in this here Pennsylvania! (said with a cowboy's accent)