Monday, August 3, 2009

Scarf Tutorial

I was inspired by a scarf that I had gotten as a gift for a friend from Red Prairie Press
She really liked the gift, and I liked the soft fullness of the fabric.


I had seen this sumptuous fabric in a potting soil color on clearance earlier this summer. It has been on my shelf waiting. My daughter wraps in it because it feels so good. It is lightweight and stretchy and oh so soft to the touch. ** Hmm, she wraps in it.** I have also been wanting to re-visit the corsage idea as well. (You remember the corsage t-shirts that became a girl's day project.) The whole thing came together today.


I cut a long strip of the yummy fabric. (mine is about 5 ft. long and about 1 ft. wide). I left the edges raw so that they would curl. I then cut 3 circles, one large (see my glass that I used as a template?) one medium, and one small. I used these to make the corsage flowers. I cut 4 sets of them so that I would have 2 flowers at each end of the scarf.


I layed the circles on top of one another and sewed them by hand onto each end of the scarf. I pinched the circles and bunched them so that they looked just right. I also sewed a strip of fabric at the ends of the scarf for and extra layer of curling fabric.




I love how it lays.



And it feels so good! This scarf will be dressing up my t-shirts as the weather turns towards fall.

26 comments:

Denise @ Life on Stepping Stone Lane said...

Oh so cute!! You are so clever!

Deanna said...

I love it! And aren't you busy being creative!? How are you finding the time!

the treat girl said...

Really super duper cute, Miss!!!

Kari Sweeten said...

Cutest scarf ever!! I am so featuring this!

Floralshowers Craft Blog said...

That scarf looks amazing. I love the corsage look!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

this is fantastic! i want to go buy some fabric right now!

I love your blog, by the way!

-stephanie
somewhatsimple.blogspot.com

Sarah J. said...

I love this idea! Do you mind if I feature it?

Jen said...

I hate to sound like I don't know anything but it's worth the risk here...I LOVE this scarf, so I have to ask what kind of material did you make it out of? A knit? I am forcing myself to not rush out to the fabric store until I know for sure what I need to buy...
Thanks!!!

Anne said...

This is beautiful!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-soft-scarf-from-knit-fabric/2009/08/05/
--Anne

Beth- the mama bee said...

I have a great scarf that is so plain.. I'm going to have to see if I can dig up the fabric scraps to add flowers. love it!

skinner studio said...

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love it ... thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful (and easy) way to dress something up. I would like to try this on a t-shirt. We don't wear many scarves in Florida.

Carly said...

I've seen your scarf several times this week, and I just love it! Beautiful job!

nest of posies said...

i too, am curious as to what fabric you used. it kindof looks like a knit sweater style fabric so it wont fray??? but i am not sure.

please let us know.
so cute & easy = i might really be able to do this one!

Tricia said...

This is gorgeous! So beautiful! I love the raw edges.

XO*Tricia

P.S. I stopped over via hopestudios

Its So Very Cheri said...

Your rosettes are so pretty and I love your chocolatey dirt colored material. Welcome to the Knock Off Knock Out party.

Cheri

Kelee Katillac said...

The raw edges are perfect and so doable!

Stop by--am in the party!

Love the color too....


love, kelee

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

The scarf turned out fabulous.

Kayleen said...

This is so great. . . now, for some winter weather. . . AZ just isn't bringing it.

Ally's Corner said...

Oh my how cute is that.
Great idea!

Ally

Its So Very Cheri said...

I don't know if I left you a post earlier or not but I need you to post my link to this party.
Thanks,
Cheri

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

i love this sooooooo much. It looks like t shirt material is it?

Billy and Sarah said...

I love it! Thanks for posting this tutorial. I attempted it last night and I think it turned out pretty well. This may be my project for Christmas gifts!

Simply Me Art said...

I Love this, I was working on a scarf project too inspired by Anthropologie but yours is so much Cuter! Thanks for sharing too. Jamie

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

LOVE IT!!! I am definitely make some for myself & my girls... it's too cute. Thanks for sharing.