Friday, October 2, 2009

Chair Sleeve Tutorial

I was approached by our Kindergarten teacher and she asked me to make a chair sleeve for the "Star of the Week". Each child in class gets a chance to be in the limelight and tell about themselves for a week during the school year. It's a much anticipated week when you are 5. Last year, they decorated the back of the special person's chair with some bows that became very tired looking by the end of the year. Looked less special, and more like old wrappings pulled out of the trash.

I gathered my supplies: Red polar fleece, a denim fabric with glittery stars, white and blue felt, various colored threads and some buttons.

I measured the back of the chair, and cut 2 pieces of my polar fleece only slightly larger. I used polar fleece for 4 reasons: 1.) it's stretchy, 2.) it doesn't fray, and a raw edge is fine, 3.) it's soft and 4.) it wears well.

I cut out the words "I am a Star" directly from the white felt. I printed my own star pattern off of the computer and pinned that to a piece of blue felt. I used felt (again) because it doesn't fray and a raw edge is fine.


Then, I began stitching the words directly on to the blue felt with colorful thick thread. I also sewed a few red star buttons along the word 'star'.


After a few layers of felt, denim and polar fleece, here are the results. Notice how I used pinking shears on both the polar fleece and the denim. This adds yet another layer of interest, and prevents the denim from fraying. I handstitched the letters and the star to the layers of denim and polar fleece. Then I machine sewed the two layers of the polar fleece sleeve together on 3 sides. I made sure to heavily stitch the bottom corners, near the opening, as these will be the seams that get the most stress. The teacher was thrilled.


The sleeve easily slides over the top of a kindergarten sized chair, and can be moved from week to week. I really like how all of the layers, different fabrics and buttons add texture and dimension. The bright colors make it cheerful and eye-catching.

I was thinking these would be a great addition to a holiday table. Felt pumpkins with a few sequins, or Christmas trees with button ornaments would be beautiful. You could also make them for your everyday kitchen table. Maybe put the kid's names at their chairs. How about a special "It's My Birthday" sleeve that makes the rounds for each member of a family? If you make one, be sure to link back, I'd love to see what you've come up with!

9 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

Very cute for the birthday kid, too!

Deanna said...

The kids will love it! Those teachers are lucky to have you!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Oh that is so cute Marjorie. Did the teacher love it? My son loves being Star of the Week. I bet the person in that chair feels like royalty.

Wendy said...

So cute! Anyone would feel like a star sitting there!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Okay, that is too cute!!! Love the little stars as added touches. :) Stopping by from Kimba's party tonight. :)

Mandy said...

Oh - I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! What a great class project. Lucky class to have you around!

cindy@cottage instincts said...

Fabulous idea. Thanks for the tutorial :o)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

So cute - you can make this for holidays and so many other things! Thanks.

Fawn said...

what a super cute idea and poject!