Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Convinced the Pizza Shop to Open Early and Other Tales From This Week

My Sister in Law sent me an email last night just to ask how things are going. How sweet of her to ask. My random and rambling response caused me to assess the chaos around here. Here's How It's Going:

-I had a birthday party for my 11 year old daughter last week. YES, it was a sleepover (is there any other kind when you are 11?) I had to take special care with the presents (what to get: no one had any idea), the cake (no pink roses this time), the decorations (not fru-fru), and the activities. Actually, she wanted exactly zero planned activities. I strong-armed her to agree to a few "back-up" crafts and games. (All of which we used, by the way, although some girls were more "into" them than others).

-My husband had a birthday. With very little fan-fare (and he sort of likes fan-fare-in a quiet, "just-us" sort of way). He got exactly what he asked for: a Penguins Jersey and a book. I hate it when I don't have a decent surprise gift for the people in my life that mean the most to me.

-I'm co-chairing the big fund raising auction at my kid's school. I have been busy meeting people, co-ordinating class projects and visiting possible venues for two weeks straight.

-My 7 year old daughter has a birthday this weekend. I have a clue what she wants, I have purchased it, but, it remains unwrapped. The party, of course,is a sleepover. She wanted a "Spa Party". I have some grand plans. I'm hoping that they'll all sit through the manicures, pedicures and facials that I will be doing as I transform myself into an Employee at the Spa. I even have the babysitter coming over (she's cool and hip, after all) to do hair.

-The soon to be 7 year old wanted to have pizza with her class on Friday. This is a common occurrence at our school. The birthday kid brings pizza for the whole class at lunch. My daughter told me that they have lunch at 1pm. It's a good thing that I asked the teacher: lunch is at 11am. (Hey, there is a 1 in it!). So, after I have committed to get pizza for the class, I start calling pizza places. They don't open till 11:30! Argh. I sweet talked (or bullied, or begged) a local place to open a little early for me on Friday. Then browbeat them to make sure that the pizza would be delivered at exactly 11am. (The kids only have 1/2 hour for lunch after all.) I ordered an extra pizza that I'm sure we won't need just to make it worth their while. Looks like I'll be feeding the 1st grade teachers Friday too.

-Since 3 of my immediate family members have birthdays in October, I am hosting a "Family" birthday party Saturday. A few other family members have birthdays this month too. So, we are celebrating for 5 birthdays. I have only the vaguest idea of what I'll be serving to 20 people Saturday. I ordered a huge sandwich from the grocery store yesterday. I have Marzipan baking the cake. Beyond that, I am completely unprepared.

-My dear sweet husband got the Halloween stuff out of the attic this past weekend because the kids begged him. Let's just say that it looks like Halloween threw-up all over their rooms. There are bins with lids askew, costumes from years past flung, I'm stepping on spiky spider rings. I may have to shovel it back into the boxes and have my dear sweet husband return to to where it came from.

-I'm making fire-engine cookies with my littlest guy at school today. Somehow, long ago, I thought it would be a good idea to sign up for cooking today. The teacher called me last night to remind me, and give me a list of the things I'd need.

-The laundry....Oh. Ok, at least the clothes are clean. They just need sorted from the giant heap that they are currently in, folded, and put away. The kids have been digging through the pile for outfits for a week and a half (scattering it all in the process). It would make me feel so much better if you admitted that this happens at your house too. Feel free to comment below.

-It goes without saying that the kitchen floor, and many other surfaces, need cleaned.

I'll be skidding to a complete stop on Sunday. Maybe someone should let my family know that I need a day off. Oh, that's right, Moms don't get "Days off".

7 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

I was just going to say "Um, day off? Surely you jest" Going to costco today, woot woot!

Deanna said...

If you don't get a day off, do what I do and go on strike for a day. Don't worry (haha) all cleaning will wait for you!

the treat girl said...

I think of you daily in October....it's the same stuff over here with all the birthdays....I'm still waiting for my day off too.

Anonymous said...

I want not acquiesce in on it. I regard as precise post. Expressly the designation attracted me to review the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Well I assent to but I dream the post should secure more info then it has.