Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Dawn of a New Era

Last week, I casually read an article for and against teaching cursive in schools. I found it interesting...in fact, it had never occured to me NOT to teach it, but the argument was that it takes up too much time and the kids "today" really don't use it. The proponents held that cursive is important because there are certain situations where it is considered approprite to use it (personal notes, signatures). Apparently the debate rages on. Here's the window to my world: I have been trying to get my #4 Darling to write. His skill level is shown above. I'd say fine motor skills are a concern. He can write exactly zero letters, but knows and recognizes them all from A-Z. He can spell 20 or so words, but only verbally.

I was helping him on Noggin.com today, and all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks! The boy knows the QWERTY as well as I do! He has no problem typing anything!

How strange...maybe someday we'll be debating whether to teach the hand written word at all.

No comments: