Monday, December 15, 2008

Winter Calf

Over the weekend, the kids were excited to meet "Paintpot". He's the new calf at the farm. They raise black and red angus over at the farm, so the calves are usually red or black. My Dad usually names the red ones "Red" and the black ones are "Blackie". Every spring there are lots of "Red"s and "Blackies" running around. It's somewhat of a rarity to get a calf with this much white on it. He's really beautiful and soft. Winter calves have it tough..they've got to make it through all of the severe cold that is yet to come and the muddy, wet spring. More work for the farmer, but farmers are used to more work, in fact, I don't think the idea of "less work" has ever occurred to them.

2 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

Yeah, less work...what's that? I used to love to feed the calves, they used to suck on my whole hand after they finished the bottle! Mmmm, milky calf breath...

Deanna said...

Adorable! I love cows!