Monday, January 11, 2010

Remember My Shirt with Holes?

Last week I shared the great Holes in My Shirt Problem that I have.  (And maybe you have too?) 
I have pictured here the shirt, which was perfectly good, except it had several holes in the front...directly where the button from my jeans rubs on the kitchen counter.  Last week, I shared a scarf that I made with two t-shirts and some inspiration from Alabama Chanin.
So, I decided to save my shirt.  I used a template to cut a leaf pattern in the shirt, making sure to cut out the part that had the holes.  I used soap as tailors chalk.

Then, I carefully cut out the leaf pattern, that I spread out a bit, and wrapped around to the back of the shirt.

After that, I laid out the shirt on a cookie sheet and carefully outlined the inner part of each leaf, using a Q-tip, with bleach. I used that same template and the same techniques with my scarf from last week.

Lastly, I chose a contrasting knit fabric to line the shirt with, and a co-ordinating embroidery floss.  I hand stitched around each leaf.  I love how the pattern wraps around to the back of the shirt ever so slightly.  You'd never guess that this shirt was almost in my trash bin!

7 comments:

the treat girl said...

There you go! I have to get busy over here and make my holey shirts look cute like yours!!

gina said...

Great idea to re-use a product...nothing goes to waste. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh you clever, crafty people. You could SELL that shirt for MONEY now!

Jennifer Juniper said...

Very cute, of course!

mary said...

Okay.....I have at least 10-15 thin cotton shirts that have holes in that exact spot......I thought it was a moth in my closet. HELLOOOOOO!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I have the same problem!! I wondered how I was getting all those holes. ;) Great solution!!

FashionArtProjects.com said...

We love this idea and just featured it on our Facebook page! :)