Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Why Do All of My Shirts Have Holes? Do You Have Holes? Why?



This has been a great topic for debate amongst girlfriends. 

Nearly every shirt I own eventually develops a hole right around the bellybutton. See the above, perfectly good, nice shirt...yep, there is a series of holes right at the waist, directly in front. 

I have found through extensive research, that all of you out there will now be immediately divided into two distinct groups:

1.) One that thinks I am completly bonkers, and has No Idea what I'm talking about.  I get lots of looks from people in this group that clearly mean that they think I'm crazy.

2.)  The other group says "Oh My Gosh, ME TOO".  Very shortly after, they say "why is that?". 

3.)  There is no third group.....you fall into one or the other.  (My extensive research has never found that anyone falls in a grey-area.)

So, moving on, to the question: "Why is that?"  I have always thought that the button on my jeans rubs against the countertop right at that spot.  The shirt in between gets worn away in there.  But, I have met taller people that have the same problem, and surely their countertop would not hit them exactly where it hits me.  A friend swears it's her kids tugging at her shirt all day. 

What do you think?  What group are you in?

I've got a really great project for all of these shirts with holes. Do not throw them away.  Check back tomorrow.


16 comments:

the treat girl said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was JUST talking about this yesterday!!!! And YES! I am in group two....and I was explaining that why it happens is because your shirt DOES rub against the button of your jeans when you lean against your counter.........right????? Can't wait til tomorrow!!!!!!!

Deanna said...

I'm in group one, unless you count the holes that show up behind the right shoulder at the seam - I think it's just time for a new shirt! Can't wait to see what your shirt recycling idea is!

Denise @ Life on Stepping Stone Lane said...

I'm most definitely in group 2! Why is that? HA!

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem and I blame it on really cheap fabric--poorly made clothes.

Billy and Sarah said...

I'm glad at least I'm not the only one with that problem. At least now I know I can refashion with them...Can't wait to see your ideas

Lisa said...

OMG, I noticed this on some of mine too! I have them in a few shoulders and I don't know why. I always thought they got caught in a closet or something...

Anonymous said...

I have talked about this for years! I thought at first it was from our cat hiding in the closet, then reaching up to stretch and catching her claws on the bottom of my shirts. I now believe it is not from the actual button on my jeans, but the piece of material above the button that sticks out slightly because of my stomach that is not perfectly flat!

Gail DeSantis said...

Well, my mysterious holes are lower then my belly button more towards the bottom and can't be rubbing on my jean's button. I get these shirts all dry cleaned and starting to wonder if they are stretching the shirts in the process? It's SO frustrating! These are expensive shirts too. The one I'm wearing today with the hole is Cashmere! Oh and I don't have granite counter tops so I'm not rubbing against that..

Anonymous said...

Mine get the holes from my car's seatbelt rubbing against my jean's button. I know this because it started happening only when I got my new minivan :o)

Donna Baker said...

count me in group 2. I am going to get some of those shirts and re-fashion them like you did. Thanks for sharing (someone pinned you) and I will share your blog in my link!

Dignity4Me said...

I am in group 2, for sure. The last few years in particular I've noticed these pesky holes. Today I wore a cute litle T to work and was running too late to change when I noticted the holes. So... I put a little piece of Scotch tape on the inside of the shirt and gathered the material together to close the three little holes. I have to experiment, but I think mine are from putting my makeup on and leaning against my granite counter top in my bathroom. And maybe the few extra pounds in the tummy haven't helped. Another reason for the vanity I've wanted for YEARS!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic solution to holey shirts. I'm going on an extensive leave from work and will be refashioning all of my holey shirts! I always thought it was a mixture of rubbing up against the counter and my shirts getting caught when I did up my belt.

amandajpierce said...

So CRAZY. I have always wondered what is wrong with me and why I have this tiny hole-in-the-same-place problem. I always thought my shirt was catching on the same spot on one of the countertops. Some of the edges are rough.

barknmadd said...

It is SIlverfish. They are a bug that chews holes in certain fabrics. "Google" it.

barknmadd said...

It is Silverfish. It is a bug that chews holes in certain fabrics. "Google" it.

Anonymous said...

Not silverfish (or other bugs). they would not target a particular area. This also applies to your washer/dryer - it would not be in a specific area on the garment.

Some people have said it might be rubbing on countertops in the kitchen. But I get them to and the holes are above the counter line.

I just developed this problem within the past year - so it should not be my seatbelts. I don't have a cat or other animal, and I don't smoke (to parry other suggestions that have surfaced elsewhere)

If you figure it out, please let us know.