Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Wonder Why Wednesday: Stars?

I'm wondering about these stars that I see everywhere on the sides of homes. They are usually metal and are raised/3 dimensional.

1st: What does this mean? Anything? Drive down a country road and tell me how many you see...I counted 6 one day. Is there some secret "Star Society" that I am unaware of?

2nd: Where do you buy these things? I see them everywhere on homes, but have never once seen them for sale anywhere. I really don't think I live in a bubble. Is Agway an appropriate place to look? I'm just not sure.

3rd and lastly: OK, so you've decided that the house needs a "Star" for reasons unknown and you've found a place to purchase said "Star". How in the heck do you get hubby to drag out the huge ladder that you'll need, correctly position this thing on the side of your house and properly secure it onto siding, cement or bricks? I'm just saying that I'd have to wait an awful long time. Maybe forever.

Here's a stone "Star" that I came across. Founding members of the "Secret Star Society", perhaps?

5 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

When girl in the sticks and I went to Pat Catan's a few months ago, there was a whole aisle of them! I always thought it was a farm thing, but they're everywhere now!

Denise @ Life on Stepping Stone Lane said...

I, personally, am not a member of the SSS (Secret Star Society), but here in Oklahoma they have them in abundance at Gordmans.

Deanna said...

I've always wondered the same about those glass balls on pedestals in people's yards. It looks a little alien if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

Hobby Lobby. In Arkansas you can see them just leaning against fireplace ledges, as well as outside homes. Don't ask me why...

Kate said...

Just a lurker, but I lived in Pennsylvania for several years and lots of the old farmhouses there have stars. According to Pennsylvanians, the stars date back to the Revolutionary war. Patriots would put stars on their houses to identify themselves to other Patriots.