Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Wonder Why Wednesday: Why Does The Air at The Post Office Suck The Life Out of Me?

There are very few errands that I dislike more than the Post Office run. Our post office is always busy, there is always a line, a long line.

I know what you are thinking, why doesn't she just buy one of those scales and print postage from home? Well, I have one, and I've tried it, but for whatever reason, stuff gets returned. There seems to be some mythical definition of parcel and package and letter that eludes me. Due to thickness, or size, or weight, or color (ha) I don't classify it right, and it comes back.

So, off to the Post Office I go. The place is "government green" and "make my eyes glaze over" blue. I wait in the long line, and when I finally get to the counter, I say: "Nothing liquid, perishable, fragile or potentially hazardous. 1st Class, Please". And the guy who apparently hates me behind the counter responds with: "Is there anything liquid, perishable, fragile or potentially hazardous?" AND, he waits for a response! (Did I also mention how s.l.o.w.l.y he says this?) I say "No" (Very annoyed, but I know what's coming). "And how would you like to ship today? We have Next Day for $24, Priority for $10, First Class or $3, Parcel Post for $2". He, again, waits for an answer. I re-state "First Class" . Then he starts to offer me "Shipping Products". I sigh and say "No, that's all please". THEN he asks if I'd like to buy some stamps. ARGH! NO! I just want to get out of here! NO! It's like this every time.

I always leave annoyed. I'm sure Mr. Post Office gets his kicks from people like me.

5 comments:

Becky DeVries said...

OH my, I have the same thing. Every single package is exactly the same and they ask every question every time like maybe I forgot and just this one IS potentially hazardous!

Infarrantly Creative said...

OMG mine is the exact same way. I have lived in other places in the country and it is not as bad as here. They talk soooooooooooo slow and just chit chat it up when there is a line 10 deep. I often use their self mailing machine. You can only use a credit card which i don't like but it is worth me not standing there.

Deanna said...

Often I'll go out of my way to avoid the post office that I think you're talking about - the smaller post offices are usually not as crowded (like the ones in Z or EC). I feel your pain!

the treat girl said...

Ohhh, and if it's the post office I'm thinking about....I even know the guy you're talking about!!!!! I just use the self service kiosk in the lobby....then I can go whenever I want too!!!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I never stand in that line, it sucks. Just go to the self service scale in the lobby, you can even go before the post office opens. No line. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!