Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Terrarium Tutorial

I was inspired by the great glass jar that I found at a yard sale for $1. Last year at about this time, some friends and I collected ferns and moss from the local woods, and made terrariums.

Another friend has always admired mine, and it's still going strong over a year later.

Here's what you'll need: A glass jar with a glass lid. Taller is better than wider.
Some small gravel.
Some Potting soil.
Small ferns and moss and any other kind of petite forest find.


Look at this cute little rock I found with the little bits of moss growing on it!

So, here's what you do: Put some gravel in the bottom of the glass jar. Then, layer potting soil (a cup or two is all you need). You can just use regular forest dirt, but you take the risk of watching worms and other bugs toil away in there until they are no longer part of this world.

Then, begin your planting. Remember, you need small plants so that the terrarium is in proportion.

Tuck the moss in at the base of the fern, then any other forest goodies that you may have found.

Spray liberally with water. This serves two purposes: 1.) to water the plants, and 2.)to wash the dirt from the plants and the sides of the container.

Take a dry paper towel and wipe the inside of the container just to make sure it is sparkly clean.

And, this little bit of forest floor will be just what you need come January. If you keep this little ecosystem on your kitchen table, like I do, then you can be constantly reminded of the lush, green summer. And, be sure to take the lid off occasionally...it smells just like the woods too.

Here are the Care and Keeping Instructions:

Place your terrarium in indirect light; direct light will cause too much heat to build up.
-Most terrariums won't need watering for 4-6 months. You'll know it's time when the plants look wilted, or the water stops condensing on the sides of the container.
-When you are ready to water, mist the sides of the terrarium, with water, rather than the leaves.

-If the sides of the terrarium are always fogged, or large droplets of water form on the top, there is too much moisture trapped inside. Remove the lid for a day or two to dehumidify.
I made a few of these as Christmas Gifts last year, and they were a favorite. You may want to get some started right now for a few special people on your list!

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh, I want a terrarium! I've been thinking about buying one for months...never even considered making my own!
Beautiful job :)

the treat girl said...

Thank you for reminding me of our terriums.....I think Cubby and I will have to do another one! P.S. where did you find the acorns??? I need a bunch!

Lisa said...

That's a great idea! I have a large apothecary jar in my storage room that would be perfect for that. Thanks!

Let it Shine said...

That is awesome!
My daughter would love this!

Alyshia

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

I can't believe you got that apothecary jar for only $1! I am always looking for those, and they're hardly ever that cheap. Love the terrarium idea.

Kammy said...

So pretty !! I would kill it though.....LOL !
Kammy

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Lovely!! :) I love the way you can bring some nature inside without making a big old mess. ;) Thanks so much for stopping by last week...I have been out of town and am just now returning visits. :)